I was raised in the shoe family of Januzzi's Shoes. The ditty on the radio in the 80's went something like this: "All over the street, to happy feet. Get your shoozies at Januzzi's."

For some, they put on their writer's hat. For me, I wear my writer's shoes.


Sunday, June 15, 2014

What We Leave Open


The week Mark and I got married was in the midst of a humidity tidal wave.  The evening before the temperatures had reached into the 90’s and we were grateful that the high temperature the day of our wedding was only supposed to reach 88 degrees.

Second weddings are not typical weddings.  We held a party over an entire weekend, to accommodate four families, and friends from many walks of life. We had hired a photographer to capture the formal shots, and relied upon the good intentions of our friends to do the rest. Ironically, the only photos that remain from that day are those of the photographer.

He captured Davis and Mark in this photo, as they were putting on their flowers. They were in a back room of the church. I can’t even say for certain where I was, so caught up in the moment.  Before he left the house, Davis had muttered, “This is the most dressed up I’ve ever been.”  And it would last that way for years.

As we were in the midst of raising three teenage girls, the relationship between Mark and Davis was not always apparent. No one worked at, as we were busy working at “all of it.” 

When it came time for Davis to enter high school, he was given the option to look at Moeller.  Mark had graduated from Moeller, as had his two brothers.  There was no legacy conversation, but Mark sat Davis down, and relayed to him what he thought the benefits were, at least from his viewpoint which was by then, how shall I say, old.

At any rate, that conversation was the only talk the two had about Davis attending Moeller.  Davis never said another word about his intentions, until the time arrived for a decision. Some of this may have been due to teasing at his public school based on his decision, some due to the fact he had already made up his mind, and would tell us in his time.

He chose Moeller. And I was always grateful that Mark had not influenced him, or the outcome. Davis would succeed and fail at many endeavors, but would only do so, by his own choosing, and not some legacy he thought he had to fulfill.  

Davis graduated, only weeks ago. From Moeller. The two, over the course of four years time, shared many stories about teachers, history of the school, history of the school sports programs.  But Davis made his own way there, in no small part, because Mark allowed for that to happen. Davis never had to be anyone’s son, though he enjoyed being Cheryl’s brother, with the French teacher. 

In the past two years, the girls migrated many directions and Davis remained in the nest.  During our first Friday in the new house, National Donut Day, no less, I had taken Enzo out for a walk. I received a text from Mark. “We are going to Holtman’s. Want to come?”  I was right around the corner, so I came in the back, took the dog out the front, and found my two boys, waiting for me, mostly for donuts.

We walked the two short blocks to the donut shop.  I chose to stay outside with the dog.  The line was long, and occasionally, I peeked inside to watch the two of the them, Davis now somewhat towering over his stepfather.  They were eagerly pointing at various donuts, the likes of which can only be imagined, or paralleled to VooDoo donuts.

The two years alone with Davis, without the girls in the home, I was grateful to have witnessed many father-son moments transpiring between Mark and Davis. I still crack up, when Davis calls him, “MM” because no other name seemed quite right at the time. And none still does. And I am often the target of their teasing, which I am quite comfortable in taking, when I know it is creating a bond between them.  And while Davis still has a long way to go in adopting ND football, though Mark is coming along quite nicely as a Duck, the two of them still count down the days to the beginning of college football season, and the arrival of a certain someone’s rants about ND.

I have only gratitude that Mark never treated Davis any different than he treated his birth daughters. Mark had been parenting many years before I came on the scene as parent, and I am still learning from him, how to open up a heart.

No comments: