I was raised in the shoe family of Januzzi's Shoes. The ditty on the radio in the 80's went something like this: "All over the street, to happy feet. Get your shoozies at Januzzi's."

For some, they put on their writer's hat. For me, I wear my writer's shoes.


Wednesday, November 20, 2013

A Walk with the Moon


On long walks,
voices sultry or rasp
often accompany me.

But this morn
I walked with the moon,
her eye, a bleary yellow -
as if staying up all hours
was finally killing her -
trailed me through parking lots
and matted fields.

As she kept pace
and heard my morning moans,
bared her white-gold
wisdom to my complaints.

Miles beyond I reviewed
the mayhem of my day
A glance over shoulder
and she still shone,
wearily, waning and pale,
no match for the bold,
mounting sun.

She tired easily I thought
her nickel-plated shield
that protected the night
now laid down as if
she had stopped fighting
for darkness. Sun seeped in
diffusive and slow.

As I trekked through
the final forest
her glow was now light
for some young child, aside
a seething fire waiting
for tenderness that comes
only with the night.


No comments: